La Famiglia

After a wonderful stay in Sorrento, Positano and Capri the fam and I woke up to catch a train from the station in Naples to Rome, where they were staying until Sunday. We left two hours before our train and thought that would give us plenty of time to make it to the train station, which was only about an hour away. Unfortunately, there was a crazy amount of traffic and it took us a little over two hours to get to the train station and we missed our train. Flustered and running around we bought new tickets and finally got on the train with all of our luggage, which was another adventure in itself. A short train ride later we fought through people with our luggage and eventually made it off the train.

We thankfully were able to be picked up by a car sent by the hotel my family was staying in because the other car that was supposed to pick us up fell through because we missed our train and were late. We arrived at the hotel, which was beautiful and once again the staff was so attentive. It was very close to the Spanish Steps so the location was perfect. After we checked in and got settled we walked a little bit to go to dinner. We found a cute place on the corner and sat down to eat. It was here that my family discovered how annoying Rome can be sometimes- or how annoying the men selling roses on the street can be. Everywhere you turn there are men selling roses and other knick knacks and they come right up to you while you are eating and bother you to try and get you to buy something. Usually I just ignore them or say no grazie but Nicky and Maddie couldn’t help but look at the toys they were selling so we attracted a little bit of attention. My dad finally got so frustrated and yelled at him to go away. We enjoyed a meal of seafood and pastas and listened to two men play the accordion while we ate.

When we finished dinner we decided to walk over to the Spanish Steps and climb to the top. I had never been to the Steps at night but they are really pretty. The lights from the streets lit up the stairs and we were able to capture some great photos. After that we walked over to the Trevi fountain, which is my favorite place in Rome, especially at night when it is less crowded and lit up. My favorite part about the Trevi fountain is going there late at night, after we go out, around 2 or 3 a.m. when there is no one there and it is quiet and the only sound you hear is the rushing water. We took some pictures there and my family got a kick out of how many people there were and how no one here understands personal space as they all crowded around us. We decided it was time for bed after our hectic day- tomorrow we had a three hour tour of the Colosseum and ancient Rome so we went back to the hotel and called it a night.

The next morning we feasted on another impressive breakfast spread then hopped in a cab and headed over to the Colosseum to meet our tour group. We started outside of the Colosseum and got a crash course in ancient Roman history. Our guide was informative and presented all of the information in a way that more interesting than the way I learned about it in a class room. Next she took us into the Colosseum. I had been inside it with a class at the beginning of the semester and learned about the architecture side of it but on this tour I learned about the political, social and historical facts about the Colosseum. It was all too interesting and made me want to watch all of the movies about gladiators and ancient Rome.

DSC03508 DSC03512DSC03513

After the Colosseum we went to the Ancient Roman Forums where we learned even more information about the ancient civilization. I had been there once before with my art history class but had once again concentrated more on the architecture of it and not on the history so all of the information that our guide was feeding us was very interesting and gave context to all of the ruins we were looking at.

DSC03518 DSC03519 DSC03527 DSC03531

After walking for over three hours our feet were extremely sore so we walked to the nearest restaurant to eat. Our restaurant was in a great location and overlooked some of the Forum ruins so we admired them as we ate our pasta and chatted. We caught a cab back to the hotel after lunch and walked around to find some gelato and a macaroon shop we passed the previous day. The macaroons were amazing and full of so many interesting flavors- I have definitely become a macaroon lover during my abroad months. It was back to reality after that because I had to go to my last class that day and I would meet my family the next day for another tour of the Vatican and St. Peter’s Basilica.

I met my family the next afternoon and we headed over the Vatican to meet our tour guide, who was awesome! She gave us so many facts and hours of information. I picked her brain about art and the history of the Vatican and St. Peter’s. She was so knowledgable on the subjects and I really enjoyed her tour. I loved the way she presented the facts, with stories and context instead of just boring numbers and names. She also engaged my little siblings, which made them tolerate the four-hour tour. It was nice seeing the Vatican and everything in it, especially Raphael’s room and the Sistine Chapel. I’m a huge art and history nerd so I loved analyzing the art with her and asked about a hundred questions. She was definitely the best guide I have had on a tour.

DSC03554 DSC03565 DSC03566 DSC03567 DSC03569 DSC03575 DSC03576 10175951_10152465552572975_4098554716441356362_n

Four hours later and much more informed, we ended our tour at St. Peter’s and got on line to climb to the top of the dome. Renee, Maddie and myself decided to take the elevator to the first level and meet my dad and Nicky who were climbing all of the steps. We arrived at the first stop and looked down into the beautiful Basilica below. There was a mass going on and we could hear the choir singing, which added to the beauty of being suspended above such a masterpiece. Being inside the dome was a very cool experience and we were able to get a closer look at the intricate details and designs and really marveled at how massive and intense the dome actually is up close.

DSC03583 DSC03584 DSC03588

We continued on our way up about 300 stairs, in addition to about the 200 other steps my dad and Nicky already climbed. It was hot, small and tiring. I am very claustrophobic and the higher we climbed the smaller and smaller the hallways got and the smaller the steps got until eventually we were almost turned sideways and were tip toeing up the steps. The walls and the steps were slanted because of the shape of the dome, which also made climbing difficult. Eventually the steps were so small and the hallway was so curved that there was a rope provided for us to hold onto as we climbed. After a few minor panics and a lot of sweating we finally arrived at the top and the fresh air on my face felt amazing. We pushed our way to the edge and pressed ourselves up against the fence to get the most breathtaking view in all of Rome.

DSC03606 DSC03610

Made it to the top!
Made it to the top!

We took a lot of photos and then made the trek back down more tiny steps.

Little Maddy going back downstairs
Little Maddy going back downstairs

We climbed the first level of steps and then Renee, Maddy and myself took the elevator the rest of way down. We stepped off of the elevator and into the Basilica where we walked around and admired it. My dad was especially impressed with the massive structure that is so ornately decorated and constructed and he couldn’t quite wrap his mind around how people did something so miraculous so long ago.

DSC03633 DSC03639 DSC03645 DSC03648


After our long day of touring we hopped in a cab and went off to a restaurant that my uncle went to when he was in Rome and had highly recommended it to us . It was a very cute restaurant and was decorated with sports, fishing and hunting memorabilia. It was run by several bad-ass looking, burly Italian men who suggested dishes like ox tail and cow intestines- I decided on some salad and pasta but my dad and Renee got the aforementioned dishes and couldn’t stop raving about how tasty they were. We stuffed ourselves silly and were then presented with some cookies and dessert wine. After trying to bite into a cookie one of the men came over and showed me that the proper way to do it was to dip the cookie into the dessert wine, which was absolutely delicious. Then we headed back to the hotel to hang out and get to bed because the next morning we were off to Florence- but first I had a paper to write because contrary to what my family may think, sometimes I actually have school work.

“Families are the compass that guide us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter.”- Brad Henry

Published by Alexa Lardieri

I am a reporter and digital producer for the Civic section of U.S. News & World Report, where I write about breaking news. I came to U.S. News in 2016 as a researcher and writer for the Rankings and Reviews section and in 2017, joined the news team, where I helped launch America 2020. I have previously worked for as a reporter and social media specialist and was an editor for several outlets at my alma mater. I am a graduate of the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. You can follow me on Twitter (@arlardieri) and Facebook (/AlexaRLardieri) or connect with me on LinkedIn (/in/alexa-lardieri).

Thoughts? Let me know what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: